Tuesday, July 14, 2009

FAITHFUL TO OUR CALLING UNTIL THE VERY END
Watched a rerun of the movie Titanic with my family. My favorite scene was the 4-piece string band playing beautiful, soothing music on the deck while others were frantically scrambling for their lives. When the end was imminent, the leader of the band thanked the group and told them how it was an honor to have played together with them. As his group members walked away to join the rest of the passengers to look for a lifeboat, the leader of the band remained and started playing on his own. Hearing that, the three members turned back and joined their leader and they played on. What a depiction of devotion, faithfulness and dedication to the task and fierce loyalty to one another!!.

I was glad to read that this scene was real and not made up just for the movie. Harold Bride, the Titanic junior wireless operator who survived gave eyewitness account in his interview with the New York Times, "The way the band kept playing was a noble thing. I heard it first while we were still working the wireless, when there was a ragtime tune for us, and the last I saw of the band, when I was floating out in the sea with my lifebelt on, it was still on the deck playing 'Autumn'. How they ever did it, I can't imagine"