Wednesday, July 11, 2007


DRAMA AT THE WEDDING


Jo's wedding at the Selangor Yacht Club was unique and beautiful. It was however a hot day. The groom and I were in suits and ties and before long, my body was dripping sweat inside and outside. To make matters worst, the organizers close the side doors because of the candle lighting ceremony to prevent the wind from extinguishing the fire. Sweat was dripping down the sides of my face and from my forehead into my eyes and the salt from the sweat stung. My right hand was holding the marriage folder and my left, the microphone so I could not reach in to get my handkerchief. In between 'to have and to hold, in sickness and in health', I wondered if I could stop for a few seconds to wipe the sweat off my eyes? I tried desperately to sound calm when it was all storm within. I was glad when I finally finished the ceremony but apparently no one knew what I was going through as the glare from the glass windows behind me has blinded their eyes to all the drama the minister was going through.
My wedding drama did not end there. Because of the heat, most of us who wore suits took off our coats and draped them over the chairs. Unbeknownst to me, I had left my coat next to Ps Chin Ban and when the dinner ceremony began, we took each other's coat by mistake. Ban wore my coat throughout the dinner as he MC the night but apparently our bodies must be quite similar in size and shape as he did not feel any difference. I had his coat draped over my seat throughout the dinner until the end when I discovered that the coat is not mine.