Friday, December 19, 2008

Lawrence and I with Haruki

Mr. and Mrs. Takashima

The traditional tea ceremony

With Maegu (Haruki's girlfriend) and Mr. Takashima
God's Divine Arrangement
I just received news that Mr. Takashima, one of our Japanese friend's father passed away suddenly due to a hemorrhage in his brain. While this was a shock to us (since we only met him last week), I am amazed at God's divine arrangement. Our team visited his home at Nara (an ancient capital of Japan) and he and his wife Mikiko were so hospitable. She is a great cook and really enjoyed ourselves. On arrival, the couple took us through the traditional tea ceremony (which was likened to an old Japanese christian communion ritual). It was quite an experience and we loved the tea. After dinner, Haruki (our Japanese friend) took us around the house and I soon found myself alone with Mr Takashima who spoke some English. He was friendly and I felt a connection with him. Before I took leave and head back to the team, I wished him well for his appointment with his dentist. I was surprised when he opened his feelings and reveal his fears, something which I thought no elderly Japanese man would do. I asked if I could prayed for him and to my joy, he agreed. I prayed with affection and love for him and he was clearly touched. He later told his son, Haruki that he was touched to tears. I believe the Holy Spirit really ministered to him and I am hopeful that Haruki's prayer with him during the visit to the hospital sealed the work of God in this man's life. Apparently in the father's last phone conversation to Haruki he suddenly talked about his future possible death and requested a Christian funeral. God must be preparing for his passing and I am just glad to be used by the Lord to touch this soul serendipitiously. God is amazing.